Grace Church was founded in downtown Willoughby in 1870. After World War II, needing more room, we began looking for a new location. In 1958 thirty-three wooded acres, one mile south of the original church was purchased and by 1963 our current church and undercroft were erected. In the early 70’s the education wing and rectory were added. Our day care center began in 1978. Being blessed with a beautiful wooded setting and a new rector familiar with Cleveland, we opened an intercity day camp. Our facilities have also been used for campouts, family picnics, parish parties and a host of Boy Scout activities in the past. Our Memorial Garden was consecrated in 1976.
We have had part time cleric support for the last eight years; it reflects a decline in attendance and pledging units not in preference or need. Grace leadership found the path to remaining a viable parish was to enter into a ninety-nine year lease with OPRS (Ohio Presbyterian Retirement Services/aka Breckenridge) to build 110 senior independent living apartments known as Grace Woods on sixteen acres of the property. The ground breaking for Grace Woods was in July 2008. We now have a revenue stream to implement long delayed capital improvements and support a full time rector.